[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Open Lab Idaho Forums - View topic - ZCorp Printer

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ZCorp Printer 

Hey All,

We just got in the ZCorp 3D powder printer that was donated to Reuseum Ed. They gave RE the building materials, cleaning supplies, software and a vacuum chamber to clean finished pieces.

I would like everyone to know that this machine is one of the first pieces that we will be putting in the lab as it grows. Right now, the printer is available for us to install and figure out how to operate it. It will also be our responsibility to maintain the machine and keep it functional.

One of the guidelines of the donation was that we use it for educational outreach, an so this unit will become a fixture for the Raising Makers curriculum that Andy and I are developing, and as a public access unit once an individual has gone through training.

There will be a usage model associated with the printer for time and materials for the public, and a reduced, possibly no cost usage policy for any OLI members.

Anyhoo, lets turn this thing on!!!

-D

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:07 pm

So when are we going to experiment with printing candy via sugar and water / whatever bonds sugar well?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:46 pm
Profile WWW

Well lets set a date!

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:32 pm

OK progress report:

We're got a computer set up with the host software and the printer coasted smoothly along with its diagnostics until it checked for fluid pressure, which was disconnected.

We are getting ready to clean the print cartridge and fluid lines. This requires some solvents and other stuff. They are pretty gummed up with old binder fluid and this will define whether we can use the machine as is, or make/buy a new print cartridge or other assembly. Once we get these lines cleaned up, we can see if it'll make a print!

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Sweet! Bummed I had to bounce early.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:49 pm
Profile WWW

Cleaning the main hose lines out this weekend was pretty interesting. They should be good to test with binder fluid in the next week or so.

Meanwhile, I've been looking up printing material recipes that might be fun to make and try out!

http://reprap.org/wiki/Powder_Printer_R ... nder_fluid

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:38 am

Here are more links, storing them here for posterity:

ZCorp Replacement Binder Solution: http://open3dp.me.washington.edu/2010/0 ... ss-binder/

Open3DP as a whole is great: http://open3dp.me.washington.edu/category/formulas/

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:25 pm

This afternoon has been the most interesting research session by far for me in a long time!

Get this. Our expensive and proprietary binder solution? Rice cooking wine. Yes, like mirin. Color it with food coloring...

That expensive mystery powder recipe? Potter's material called Hydroperm, a plaster product made for metal casting. Its about $55 for 100 lbs.

As far as cleaning goes, I just need to clean the hose systems this Thursday. Anyone who would like to join the fray is most welcome.

-D

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Seriously??? Wow that is simple. What time are you thinking of doing the cleaning session?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:36 pm

I'll be at OLI by noon on Thursday. And yeah, in bulk it looks like we won't ever spend more than a dollar per lb. of printing.

Our model, the 402 is kind of a Ford Taurus of 3D printing, and has lots of hacks, starting with cartridges and a plethora of materials.

Good stuff!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next