Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
SE idaho chapter? 

Hello!
Was wondering if anyone in SE Idaho was interested in makerspace/user groups such as the Boise group. I would definitely take advantage of what the Boise group has to offer, if I was in the region. Pocatello is about 3.5 hrs away, so that puts a bit of a damper on regular activity. I've been taking the family to Maker Faire for the last few years (that is a blast), and have a number of unfinished embedded projects in my basement. I know of a few in my area that are interested, but looking to see if we can get to some critical mass to make something happen. Even if it was just a irregular meet up; I think it might be kind of fun.

-Dal

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Never make it over that far unless I'm passing thru, so I'm afraid I will be lousy company. Still, have you considered starting your own? I was over that direction once for work (can't remember exactly where or when) and I do remember some sick little electronics shops around. I was parts searching for something-or-another and visited a couple shops while there. Some old computer/electronics stores IIRC. Bet there's people who hang out there that would love to get something started.

Alex

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 pm
Profile WWW

That would be ideal; just sounds like a lot of work. Need to guage the level of interest first...

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Hey Wheedal!

Thanks for getting on here from my forum post! If you like we can continue the conversation here and via email, just PM me!

-D

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:01 pm

In answer to some of your thoughts, it is pretty hard to gauge interest in forming an organization and run it successfully. The Open Lab you see in these forums is the product of no less than five attempts and countless hours by me and others here to get something off the ground. Even now we work hard to make it valuable to those whom it might benefit.

What I proposed on the Reprap forums is a way that we can collaborate as distinct and self run communities, but we can lend you a hand in much of the admin that you might need to get started.

Personally I'm out in Twin about twice a year to teach workshops at CSI and Eastern Idaho is *right there* so it would be easy for me to bring machines and camp out at a library or a school like CSI. make stuff and throw demos.

For months Open Lab existed as a group that met at the Reuseum, and having a shop that was willing to host made things a lot easier to gel and create a nexus for our community.

Like I said, lets continue the conversation!

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Welcome to Open Lab Idaho! I think getting a hackerspace/makerspace started for southeast Idaho sounds great, whether an offshoot of Open Lab Idaho or something entirely independent. If there is anything I can do to help out, please let me know.

Do you know of anyone else down there who is interested in forming a makerspace or hackerspace? Any electronics shops or community centers where you can hold meetings?

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:51 pm

Is this still a thing? Because I'd be interested in a hackerspace here in Pocatello.

Tue May 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Joshuatree wrote:
Is this still a thing? Because I'd be interested in a hackerspace here in Pocatello.

So far, no. But all it takes is a few like-minded people to make it a thing!

Tue May 14, 2013 10:06 pm

just sounds like a lot of work. Need to guage the level of interest first...

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:20 am

clarcks wrote:
just sounds like a lot of work. Need to guage the level of interest first...

Let's keep the conversation constructive. :)

Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next