Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
An adventure in panelizing boards 

I recently had a bunch of little breakout boards that I wanted to make. I looked at making the boards and realized they would all fit in a single 5cm x 5cm board, which means I could get them in a single order - if they were all on the same board. Here's the result:

Attachment:
P1040225.JPG

Although it worked out pretty well, I'm not sure if I'd do it again without some changes. The place I ordered the boards from (Seeed studio) allows you to put little panels together, but they ask that you not separate the sub-boards with anything other than silkscreen lines. That makes separating them harder. (Ideally, you'd have them score the boards, or put perforated drill holes in, or something similar.)

I tried separating them with by scoring them with an exacto-knife and then snapping them apart. It didn't work for me. I'm guessing I wasn't being patient enough to score deep enough into the boards.

Instead, I cut them apart with a band saw. That worked great, but was a little unnerving due to the sparks flying around when the blade connected with an adjacent sub-board's metal. Some of the boards were also a little small, requiring some jigs, etc, to cut them without having to have my fingers really close to the blade.

In the end... I'm still thinking I might just pay the little bit extra to have the boards separately made and routed next time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 am

Oh - and here are a few of them with parts populated. I'm really happy with the biggest one. It's a breakout board for an ATMega32u4 -- basically like this: https://www.adafruit.com/products/296 or this: https://www.adafruit.com/products/199

I'm looking forward to using it to learn more about USB communication.

Attachment:
P1040222.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 am

Dan, did you do a solder paste and hot plate trick to mount those?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 am

No, I soldered them by hand using a fine tip. You can tell if you see them up close. My solder joints aren't the prettiest things in the world, but they work.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am

A metal shear is one of the best ways for separating boards like that.

One of these might be a good addition to the space!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am

dan.scof wrote:
No, I soldered them by hand using a fine tip. You can tell if you see them up close. My solder joints aren't the prettiest things in the world, but they work.

He still has good eyes Randy. ;)

I have to use the stereo microscopes here at work to see that stuff.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:12 am

Hi Dan,
Just did the same thing. For me the quick solution for my odd shaped daughtercards (see installed boards on the right) was a bandsaw. The dust is nasty stuff, so you need breathing protection. You also need a special blade for cutting fiberglass.

Bob

Last edited by agemoz on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 am

Quote:
A metal shear is one of the best ways for separating boards like that.

One of these might be a good addition to the space!

I do use a big shear (48") for straight cuts, but my board has a bunch of odd shaped daughtercards to fit on the destination board, so the shear wasn't an option here. I wouldn't use a small shear for this since you are cutting fiberglass and that is really hard on the cutting edge.

Bob

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

I used to work in a PC fab shop (HP had one in Boise many moons ago) and we used routers to cut boards out of panels. I think a Dremel tool with router attachment and some carbide cutters would work...

Bob

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:11 am

At the shop I've always used a large paper cutter as a shear for boards when we do home etch. It's an ample tool and the results are quick and clean if you are careful.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next