Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
An adventure in panelizing boards 

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. The bandsaw wasn't really all that bad, either.

On a sidenote, I've been having fun getting pleasantly distracted by the ATMega32u4 board I made. It really is a great little chip for playing around with USB. Using the LUFA library and a 10-key button pad I had lying around I've already been able to make a USB keyboard. It's great to plug it into a real computer and see the characters start showing up on the screen.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 am

Dan, I know this is an older thread but hopefully you pick this up. On the boards you made, did you make any that would act as a male plug for the wii nun-chucks?

Thanks!

Randy

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi Randy,

Yes, I've made a board before that lets you connect a Wii nunchuck (or classic controller) to Lego NXT robots. You can buy a few breakout boards for connecting to the those things around on the web. There is one called Nunchucky, and another called WiiChuck. The boards I made were trying to be a bit like the Nunchucky. I didn't have calipers at the time, though, so my measurements were a little bit off and the controller is slightly wiggly while it's plugged in. It doesn't create any problems with the connection, but annoyed me a bit at the time.

I've actually been meaning to create some new boards to let me connect Wii (slave) controllers as wings to my FPGA board as well. I just got some calipers for Christmas and I'm planning to update the Eagle component I used for the Wii<-->NXT board to use for the wings.

One nice thing about the controllers is that once you've got an electrical connection, you can talk to them using I2C, which is a pretty standard protocol. The controller are really well designed, too, so it's fun to use them to play around with things.

Here's a few picture of the Wii<-->NXT board I made:
Attachment:
nxt_wii.jpg

Attachment:
populated_bottom.jpg

Attachment:
populated_top.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:48 am

There is also a video on my wife's blog if you're curious to see that board being used. It was a fun project.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:52 am

or here ... $3.00
http://www.adafruit.com/products/345

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:39 am

OK cool thanks guys! I may order those from Ada Fruit, but if they are delayed in getting in I may pester you to see if you have any spares Dan I could grab. That way I am not cutting the ends off all the wii nun chucks in the house!

Thanks!

Randy

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2