Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Study group for OpenCourseware 

Last Wednesday John Hodges proposed making a study group for one of the many free courses that are out there and named one specifically put out by the linux foundation for basic linux. I for one would love to work on getting something like this started. If anyone else is interested please respond with some courses that you are interested in

Here are some of the ones that I would like to work on.

Circuits
Linux/unix
Machine Learning
Microcontrollers

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks for posting this Corbett! I think this is a great idea and would love to hear what folks are interested in.

Randy

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Circuits
Linux/unix
Machine Learning (I did some Expert Systems (Clips) work @ Micron but I'm not an expert at it.)
Microcontrollers

A good list, I'm interested in all four.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:18 pm

One thing we might consider is doing a trial run. Maybe a short series of videos that we could work through a couple of weeks

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:45 pm

Corbett, Gabriel and I are officially signed up for the "Intro to Linux" MOOC that starts Aug 1.

We're looking for others to join us: more students makes more interaction. Sebastian Thrun (Google car, glass) reports Udacity has increased course completion rates 12x, from 5% to 60%, by focusing on student interaction and tutoring. Most who try university-level courses alone at home do not succeed.

edX is MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, the country's top universities. A few years back, courses like this cost thousands. Now they're online for free. Amazing opportunity.

The course# is LSF101x. Register through edx.org. Taught by Jerry Cooperstein, of the Linux Foundation, one of a few private schools that have joined edX. His youtube samples are good, if perhaps not the very best MOOCs have to offer. The webpage has a pep talk from Torvalds.

Two of us are excited about trying the "flip teaching" method, where we watch lectures online at home, and spend our time together working problems and getting questions answered, so...

I also hope to find a few OLI members who might occasionally volunteer to answer Linux questions at our sessions. At the very least, I'll buy the beer.

--John Hodges

p.s. I think if we found some students from outside OLI and invited them to participate in study sessions in our space, some would become members.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:22 am

LFS101x, I'm signed up.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:10 am

Is anyone springing for the $250 option? I have a requirement for documented continuing education for my professional license, so I may go the paid option - still cheaper than most other available education.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:06 pm

Alright, the August 1st start date for the course is coming up. That is a Friday. If everyone interested in the course can have the first lecture video watched before the following hack night we should be able to get this thing rolling! :)

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]