Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
My projects 

Well, that was harder than I thought it would be, but all's well that ends well. The new CNC panel is in, the last step before wiring up a stepper motor. I tested it on the CNC router, and after a bunch of issues, it's working like a champ. I used the Ultimarc USB keyboard interface to the panel, and a lot of the switch connections on the interface don't appear to work properly, I had to take it all apart to figure out what was wrong. I had to rewire to switches that do work. In addition, it only provides 4 macros, but almost all functions in Mach3 are alt-key or ctl-key functions. I ended up getting a custom panel generator for Mach3 and learning how to reprogram most of the functions with single letter hotkeys. That was a long day--but the effort was worth it. I can't tell you how great it feels to start, pause and restart or E-stop just by hitting big buttons. And now I don't have to do complicated things on the keyboard to zero the bit. I need to make some sort of crane thing to hold the panel up, but now I'm ready. The moment that's been a long time coming--next weekend, I power up and run a stepper motor for the mill. I hope the stepper motor and driver (and me) survive the event...

Bob

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:36 pm

It's looking great. Best of luck with the next steps.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 am

Finally! I can now control one motor on the mill using Mach3 and the big red knob on my new panel. What took so long? Well, I had copied over the stepper configuration from the CNC router, but none of the pins were in the standard mill control positions and I hard wired up the stepper enables, so I had to learn how to configure my own. A lot of mis-tries, and the jog is still way too much, but now I've got computer control. This was all done without couplers, of course--next up is getting good reliable limit switches and another EStop in. Those are big motors, I wouldn't want that thing to free run the table off the mill. It is pretty quiet but you get this sense the stepper is very powerful...

Bob

Mon May 27, 2013 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8