Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Cranes 1968 Mustang Resto-Mod 

Yup, he did it. A car thread on a hobby forum!

Most of you guys know me well enough to know that I'm a car buff- and I know at least a few of you have an appreciation for fine automobiles. Up for your consideration is my 1968 Mustang Coupe.

Here she is, just as I bought her in August of '07.

With a bit of wax and elbow grease she was shiny again.

I drove her as my daily driver for about a year. Ran good, but had some issues, (none of which were rust) and overall I really enjoyed it...except it was kinda a grandma car. The rear end sagged quite a bit (They tend to do that when they hit 40), the vinyl top wasn't really doing it for me, and the engine was....well....wimpy. So I started tearing her down. These is the last photos taken before the official restoration began.

More to follow.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 am
Profile WWW

Next was tear down.

Found a little rust, but nothing major. It does not poke through.

Picked up a new 8" diff off of Craigslist. It came off of a 70's Maverick.

Found these on Craigslist for $10 each. The tires are about shot, but will at least roll around for a bit. When it's time to start driving I will replace them. The Crager SS rims are sweet! Not perfect, but passable.

Elbow grease applied.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:53 am
Profile WWW

Next it was time to install new Grab-A-Track springs and differential. You might recognize some of the help...

The new stance is infinitely better.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:57 am
Profile WWW

No, I think my old stance is pretty good.

Glad to see you working on this again. Cool project for sure.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:34 pm

Ordered the Rod & Custom suspension last week, and picked up the engine. Now just waiting.... here are some pics of the current tear-down.

Alex

Couple shots of where it will need body-work. This is the brunt of it.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:40 pm
Profile WWW

this isn't just a "hobby" forum, cars welcome! Looking good, man.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

No little kid in the history of the world has been as excited as I am right now!

Santa came two months early in a big brown truck! Here are his gifts! We are officially behind schedule now... parts came earlier then expected and I still have not made it to the sand blasters....

The fun continues!

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:38 pm
Profile WWW

Moving along now. I had the engine bay sand-blasted. This will make it easier to plasma-cut out all the old stuff, give us a clean surface to weld to, and make paint prep a lot easier for the engine bay.

Also found out some exciting news. At is turns out, this Mustang is a special edition. Thanks to the folks who suggested it might be. After a little digging, it turns out it is indeed a Gold Nugget Special. Anyways, that kinda changes a few things. The vinyl top will definately go back on now (which I do not mind, now. It has grown on me.)

Anyways, here is the proof. Looks pretty conclusive.

It would be a shame to paint it another color and remove the top at this point. There were only 480 made, and all were sold in the Seattle/Oregon area.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:54 pm
Profile WWW

More progress today! We got the shock towers out, and started to remove the little brackets and misc mounts that need to go. It didn't take too long with the plasma. While my buddy Richard worked on the frame, I cleaned the engine and started prepping it for paint. We should be ready to install the cross member by Thursday. Then comes painting the engine bay!

Alex

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:12 pm
Profile WWW

What a day it has been! We have been hard at work on it all day, and it has payed off.

Richard finished cleaning off the frame rails, and we got the crossmember tacked into place.

After verifying everything was correct, we welded it in. Richards welds look really good- although not as good as the R&C welds- those are phenomenal.

After the crossmemember was installed, we installed the covers to fill in the hole from the shock towers. My approach here is a bit different then the way some others have done it.

I cannot afford a concours restoration, and my Mustang is made to be driven. Also, the amount of money being sunk into the R&C kit is significant for my budget. It's also something that will be one of the cars highlights for me, and something I will likely want to show off to others when showing my car. Anyways, I do not mind folks being able to see where the shock towers were removed. Not that I want it to look hacked or sloppy, but welds showing is not an issue for me. Anyways, Richard has the sheet metal experience, and he welded it up nicely for me while I continued working on the engine.

Meanwhile I worked on spiffying up the 351C. I am not doing a full rebuild, but am giving it new paint, new outside seals, and overall a very good cleaning. I do not see the need to completely rebuild it now, as the guy who sold it to me told me it runs strong.

I cleaned up the intake manifold. A sand blaster restored it to glory.

Finished cleaning the engine

And paint. The valve covers and oil pan are being replaced, so they did not get painted.

Last order of business for the day was to primer the engine bay. As it turned out, our luck was rather bad. The weather was beautiful all day long, and from the time we pushed the car outside, mixed the paint, and started spraying, it turned nasty and poured rain. So we threw away the mix, pushed the car back inside, blew the water off, and what do you know? Sunny again.

Despite our bad luck with the weather, all in all it was very productive day.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next