Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Cranes 1968 Mustang Resto-Mod 

There appears to be pancakes on your windshield.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:06 am
Profile WWW

badger32d wrote:
There appears to be pancakes on your windshield.

I don't see how that is a problem.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:10 am

Went to the paint shop and talked about the exact paint color. I got the paint codes from a local supplier and they gave me the mixing numbers, so we mixed up a small bit to test and see what we got.

We started on the left side of this hood (right in the first image) with the bone stock paint code. As you can see a bit later on it nailed the correct color. However, we have been talking about adding some pearl to it, which is the center color. It doesn't show as much here, but will really pop with the contours of the car. The third is stock color with a bit of green pearl added. It looks cool under certain conditions, but we all agreed it wasn't as pretty as the first two options. I think we are going to go with the middle color, which is stock plus pearl.

Also the Stang is moved into the shop:

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:48 pm
Profile WWW

Great to see progress! I agree, on camera, not quite as pretty.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 pm

looking good!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Good news and bad news. The good news is we are making progress. I forgot to shoot a pic of the whole car, but it really looks different now. They have been going to town with the block sanding.

The bad news is we ran into some rust. It appear that the passenger quarter panel has been fixed poorly at some point, and a LOT of filler was used. We went over the options and decided that it needed to be completely cut out. The funny thing is all the damage was in this local area. There was none up around the wheel well, on the drivers side, or anywhere else to speak of. A couple of pin holes here and there but minor enough they could just grinded and filled. They said over all besides this area the car is extremely straight.

[http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.aspx?p=XM200L&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CNq07-2MqLkCFRDZQgod9mIABQ

Also I have been ordering trim parts. I am opting for just replacing most of these parts. They are cheap enough it's not super expensive, and the quality of the new parts seems to be half decent. I hear bad things about Scott Drake every now and then, so I avoid them when I can, but the 5-6 different parts I have ordered so far look more then good enough quality. We will see how they hold up over time.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:36 am
Profile WWW

More progress on the paint today. They have been sanding and blocking getting ready to spray. Still have a ways to go, but at least progress is being made.

Working on fixing this:

Also found this. Don't think we are going to cut it out, but rather will grind it down and fill it the best we can. It's not as bad as the other side my body guys are pretty confident they can stop it.

Very sexy from this angle....as well as all the other angles.

In other news I am still working on the electrical/engine stuff. It was not running as well as I thought it should, so to eliminate spark issues I ordered a used MSD dizzy off of eBay, as well as a MSD Blaster SS coil. To top it off I also found some MSD 8.5mm wires, the kind you cut to your own length. I hate the look of the wires going over the valve covers, so I opted for the build your own kit, which I found a brand new kit on Craigslist for $50.

The MSD Ready to Run Billet Distributor was $60....SCORE.

Oh, and a battery. You think this will do the job? Only the best for my baby.

On other other news, I decided to take a look at the carb too. Good thing I did...it was a little messy inside. (sarcastic tone)

There was about 3/16" of jelly in the bottom of my float bowl. !$@%# ethanol.

I completely tore the whole thing apart until nothing more would come off and boiled it in a solution of water, degreaser, and lemon juice. After that I went at it with a wire brush and rinsed again. I was surprised how well it worked. Then I blew out every passage I could find with carb cleaner and compressed air until happy. I found that the accelerator pump passage was 100% clogged. Now it flows freely.

Tomorrow I will try to fit the MSD dizzy and new plug wires. All in all a good week.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:19 pm
Profile WWW

Time to come up with my center console. I'm needing something to do while I wait for my paint guys.

Here is some inspiration:

I want to use two of these (or similar)

And have this built in:

I also have 4 gauges: oil temp, battery, vacuum, water temp. Yea I like knowing whats going on.

Mostly I don't know much about doing the fabric. Also I need ideas for the arm rest.

Here is what I have come up with in Solidworks so far. Tomorrow I plan to actually take some measurements, this is completely guesstamation. I don't know the size or location of the shifter, I don't know the height from the tunnel to the dash, and I don't know how long it should be if I want to be able to make an arm rest for it.

4 gauges, and 2 lighter adapters. Will probably fit in my rev limit set switch too, and leave space for more switches.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:00 am
Profile WWW

More progress, but not nearly at the rate I would like to see. My painter hired a new body guy who seems to know his stuff. We will see. Anyways, I am happy to see something happening.

I will keep you posted.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:56 pm
Profile WWW

More progress! I'm getting excited again. My paint guys are finally getting some work done consistently.

Here the latest:

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next