Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
1976 Honda CB750F2 Super Sport Project 

Last week I managed to pick up a late '76 CB750F2 Super Sport. She's gorgeous, and I'm very excited to get her running.

Current state:

- Seat pan w/ foam and cover ripped off.
- No headlight.
- Wires cut to rear lights
- No battery

When I got the bike, the carbs had been removed in preparation for cleaning. Fuel tank disconnected, aforementioned parts missing.

At this point I have:

- Cleaned out the fuel tank
- Cleaned out the carbs
- Figured out how to remount the carbs (derp, thought they "mounted" on the frame or something. Nope, looks like they're just held on by the rubber boots + airbox from what I can gather)
- Took a toothbrush to the worst of the grime
- Poured a couple tablespoons of oil into the cylinders
- Checked the electrical, the dash lights all turn on so hopefully a new battery will be enough to at least get it running

I wasn't able to get it back to my house yesterday (no truck), so it's sitting in my Dad's garage where I can only get to it before work. Should make better progress once I get it home.

I'll post more pictures and videos as I move along with this project.

My initial goal is simply to get the bike running and clean it up for the occasional commute/ride with my wife. After that, I'm still debating doing a cafe style modification, or just clean it up and get it back to stock.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile WWW

So over the weekend I was able to get the carbs back on the bike and get her running(electric starter works!).

It seems the trick to getting the carbs back on this bike is to use clamps. I got the hoses connected to the tank and angled properly. Then I lined up the carbs with the hoses and gently connected the carb on one end to it's hose, clamped it. Then I moved to the other end and did the same, ensuring that each carb was pushing into it's hose properly. They're very tight, so I spent a bit of time tweaking them until they began to suck in, then applied pressure with the clamps. It took about ten minutes to get them on and tighten the hose clamps. After that it was a simpled matter to connect the fuel tank and try out electric start.

I made sure fuel was running to the carbs, then connected my car battery to the bike. Turned the key on and hit the electric start. After about 5 minutes of cranking for a few seconds and letting it sit for a bit, I was able to get it started and rev very very slowly (kept it below 2k RPMs). Due to the oil in the carbs and cylinders, there was plenty of smoke throughout the process of getting her going. I didn't try for idle at that point because I noticed the petcock valve was leaking badly.

So electric start works!

Compiled a longer list of things I need to buy :cry:

- Push throttle cable
- New petcock valve
- 12V 14Ah battery
- Foam to rebuild the seat cushion
- Headlight/blinkers
- Side covers
- Probably should get a pro vacuum carb sync set
- New tires
- New spark plugs
- New brake pads

So once I get the petcock valve, I will finish getting all the hoses under there put together and get the airbox back on.
Meanwhile, I need to remove the rear brake caliper and replace it with the newer one I have from P.O. Depending on the wear on those pads, I'll replace them. Then bleed the brake lines (both appear to be in good shape).
Replace spark plugs (they're all firing right now, but better to replace them now than later).
Replace the push throttle cable as soon as it arrives.
Grab some foam from Home Depot and get my wife to put together a seat cover. Temporary until I decide to go completely stock or Cafe.

This ought to get the bike moving around. I'll get new tires before putting any miles on her.

I didn't get any video of the 750 running, but as soon as I do I'll post that up here. I'll be syncing the carbs after getting it moving, should be interesting. My FiL actually seems pretty excited to do that (says he's never synced carbs on a bike) and wants to help me on that when he's out in a month. So hopefully I'll be moving by then.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 am
Profile WWW

Nice! Keep it up!

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:25 am

Had to put the project on hold for awhile (meaning I got a 3D printer and was way too excited to do much work on the bike).

Anyway, now that we should see 40* by Sunday, I'm planning on getting the bike put back together (wiring, fuel tank, etc) and move it back over to my parents so I can work on the frame and get the seat pan to an upholstery shop.

I'm going to convert this guy over to a Pamco electronic ignition instead of the points ignition it currently has. I've heard amazing things about the conversion (mainly that it doesn't get out of sync after 3k miles and it generally idles/starts better.

More info once I am ready for painting the frame and getting new tires!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]