Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
6V turn signal flasher 

Ok friends. Got a question that I would have been able I answer 5 years ago, but for some reason (time, work, kids, not using these skills in FOREVER, whathaveyou) I am unable to figure out.

I've got a simple circuit, a 555 timer in asynchronous mode creating a nice square wave signaling on/off. I know the 555 can't sink a lot of power, and I need it to drive 6v, and 6w (3x 2W bulbs). Making my turn signal. SO, how would I use this as a trigger for a higher voltage/current? Do I use a MOSFET after it and use that to control the power flow to the bulbs, or a transistor of some type? I seem to be thinking I needed something with 3 poles- pos, neg, signal. I just can't seem to remember / find what the right thing to use is. Maybe a power transistor?

I also am going to try a simple 2 transistor blinker as well. Maybe don't need to go with all the 555 stuff. I was at the Reuseum today and could not find any 3906's so I'm going to try 2222's in it's place.

Thanks!

Thu May 02, 2013 3:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

The MOSFET idea is what I'm running with trying to drive a pump from an ATTINY13a. Initial tests indicate that the MOSFET is a good fit for this type of application, however it has to be wired in an "odd" way (odd to me, anyway). Think of the MOSFET as a switch that sits closer to the ground in the circuit rather than closer to the positive terminal. Base connected to the signal generator output, drain connected to the negative side of the lights, then source connected to battery negative.

This is all from memory, so I take no responsibility for getting the wiring wrong. Good luck! :)

Sun May 05, 2013 8:34 pm

how would I use this as a trigger for a higher voltage/current? Do I use a MOSFET after it and use that to control the power flow to the bulbs, or a transistor of some type?

We are the pioneers in providing Testking cwna certification dumps and vmware certification tutorials with 100% exam pass hood Download our latest Sterling College questions to pass real exam of mcitp training in time.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]